Deputy Head of Faculty Finance
Salary: £35000 to £40000
Position Type: Permanent
Working in a fast-paced finance team, you will act as a main point of contact for the Faculty of Natural & Environmental Sciences (FNES). The Deputy will carry out a range of tasks including planning, budget monitoring and key decision-making.
Details about the Client
Did you know that the University of Southampton is in the top 1% of all universities worldwide? A research-intensive university, Southampton has seven teaching campuses, with the main one being the Highfield Campus. Although you will mostly be based at Highfield, an interesting dynamic of this faculty and role is the requirement to work closely with the nearby National Oceanography Centre which houses courses in Ocean and Earth Sciences.
The FNES has nearly 400 staff and over 1500 undergraduates. It is one of the most research intensive faculties in the University and you will be managing an overall budget of circa £60m.
Detailed Job Description
Managing a team of 6 (1 fully qualified and 5 part-qualified) assistant accountants, you will be expected to provide a professional accounting service and advice to Heads of Academic Units within the faculty to maximise income and control/reduce costs. Other key responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of forecast statements and identify potential shortfall
- Authorised signatory on a number of transactions including research grants
- Decision-making for permission to appoint staff - checking affordability
- Supervision and development of an established accounting team
- Be a true Business Partner to the Faculty and aim to deliver a first class service
You will be a qualified accountant (ACA / ACCA / CIMA / CIPFA) and if you've previously worked in a Higher Education environment it would be a distinct advantage. That said, if you have the right personal attributes to work in a sometimes challenging, but ultimately rewarding, environment, I would like to hear from you. Other qualities that will set you apart from the rest will include:
- Good organisational skills - prioritisation of workloads
- Analytical and a problem solver
- Excellent communicator - particularly in the area of communicating finance to non-finance colleagues
- Strong working knowledge of accounting systems and Excel
What's on offer
An excellent overall package including 30 days holiday + University closure days, significant employer pension contributions and other flexible benefits.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPGW13754385Z