Group Accountant (Treasury)
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.
About the role
Due to an internal move within our Finance team, a position has become available for a Group Accountant with a bias on cash management. The post holder will be responsible for routine treasury activities, including related inputs into the monthly group management accounts, compiling the group short/medium term cash flow forecasting, and management of cash positioning across the Group.
Reporting to the Head of Group Financial Reporting & Treasury, the post holder will also be responsible for any related technical accounting and expected to assist in the Group statutory reporting.
About Group Financial Reporting at Abcam
The Group Financial Reporting team is currently made up of 4 people based in the UK head office in Cambridge. The team prepares the monthly consolidated numbers through a combination of Navision and TM1 (IBM Cognos planning product), delivers the external reporting responsibilities of the Group and is seen as the go-to technical accounting experts.
The consolidation consists of 1 UK and 11 overseas trading companies and consequently the team has frequent communication with Abcam finance personnel across the globe. The nature of work can be wide ranging with multiple demands due to the rapidly changing environment – recent projects which the team have been, or are currently, involved in include group structure simplification, acquisition accounting, and new global ERP system implementation.
The small team size requires each team member to take responsibility from an early stage and be as comfortable working independently as working in a team.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Ownership for preparing the Group’s short/medium term cash flow forecast, including managing and reviewing entity cash flow submissions, increasing accuracy of forecasting and identifying and implementing improvements in the forecasting process.
- Improvement in the Group’s visibility of global cash position and assistance in ad-hoc treasury analysis and problem solving as required.
- Key contact for routine banking matters on a day-to-day basis and responsibility for maintaining and identifying improvements in controls in the cash management operation and environment of the Group.
- Monitoring of the Group’s outstanding currency contract commitments,
- Input into monthly group management accounts, including IAS 32/39 entries, cash reporting and reconciliation of certain other group balance sheet accounts as required.
- Ownership for one or more of the Group’s corporate statutory entities, from monthly record keeping through to timely preparation and audit of the related statutory accounts.
The ideal candidate will be ACA/CA/ACCA qualified with experience gained working for an international group. You should have experience in multi-currency short/medium term cash flow forecasting, ideally at a group level, and possess strong understanding of the impact multi-currencies have on accounting. Ideally you will also have gained some exposure to group accounting and statutory account preparation.