Deputy Director of Finance
University of Sussex
Competitive Package + Benefits
The University of Sussex is one of the leading research universities in the world, and one of the foremost employers in the South. With a new strategic framework ‘Sussex 2025’ in place they have ambitious objectives across the organisation. In recent years they have grown their student numbers, staff and infrastructure substantially, with a new and high performing finance and commercial function that continues to grow and evolve.
The University is now looking to recruit a Deputy Director of Finance – Finance Operations in a newly created position to play a key role in leading the division through an exciting transformation agenda and enabling the University to achieve its strategic priorities at a time of unprecedented change and challenge within the Higher Education sector
Reporting directly to the Finance Director you will be responsible for the following:
- Advising the University leadership team on all aspects of financial strategy delivery and other significant operational matters
- Financial control and compliance across the University
- A new business partnering function working closely with schools and professional services to create and deliver robust long term financial strategies and operational plans, risk management and strategic and commercial projects and help embed a culture of strong financial management, reporting and control
- Finance systems and transactions
- Corporate, financial and management reporting including University level strategic planning and reporting , statutory accounts and other returns, capital accounting, treasury and cashflow management
- Management and development of a team of up to 50 staff
- Working with other senior finance staff to drive a culture of excellence across the wider division.
The successful candidate will ideally have the following skills and attributes:
- CIMA/ACA/ACCA qualified or equivalent;
- Experience of managing, motivating and developing large teams;
- Extensive experience in a business partnering, FP&A or commercial finance role in a large or complex reporting environment;
- Experience of establishing and driving a business partnering function and culture within a large organisation;
- Additionally able to drive a culture of customer service and excellence, whilst working with a variety of ‘non-finance’ stakeholders;
- Experience within long term financial and strategic planning
- Higher Education Industry experience is welcomed but not a pre-requisite for this vacancy.
Sussex University is going through an exciting period of change and this is a rare and outstanding opportunity to shape a new finance structure. This role will allow you to build a new team and drive decisions within one of the UK’s leading research universities. The University offers an impressive package including generous pension scheme, excellent annual leave entitlement, competitive salary and access to University sporting and other facilities . The campus at the University is a brilliant place to work and boasts some state-of-the-art facilities within a stone’s throw of the vibrant city of Brighton. If the above sounds of interest, please don’t hesitate to contact me or apply online to gain more information and a job description.
To apply for this role please click on the apply button below and attach your latest CV and cover letter. For more information on the role and the recruitment/application process please follow the following link: