Birmingham, United Kingdom
£35,000 - £40,000
The Energy Systems Catapult is one of a network of ten elite technology and innovation centres set up by Innovate UK. The Catapults are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
The Energy Systems Catapult works with companies that are focused on exploiting the new product and services opportunities created by the need to transform global energy systems. It will create a critical mass for business and research innovation, focusing on electricity, heat and combustible gases.
The Finance Department
The Finance Department comprises a Head of Finance and a supporting team of Accountants and Administrators providing a service to the Catapult to enable it to work effectively with its customers, suppliers, stakeholders and partners.
The Team will provide the full range of financial support, including the preparation of monthly management accounts and associated information; annual reports and accounts; budgets; forecasts; cash management; transactions management; financial analysis and modelling; financial support to budget holders, projects and staff; liaison with external advisers, auditors and accountants; tax administration and other statutory requirements. Payroll is outsourced but the finance team maintain the link with the external providers and supply all relevant information in conjunction with HR.
• Principle finance lead on project related costs, tracking progress of projects through the project lifecycle & ensuring they are managed within budget, as well as post completion evaluation.
• Production of monthly project finance reporting, including budget and forecasting activities.
• Developing and maintaining procedures and processes regarding project set up.
• Understanding & assessing risk within projects - identify and surface key risks to revenue to Finance Manager, as well as to the project teams.
• Identifying opportunities within projects for cost savings, revenue generation and/or capability improvement
• Identifying different types of project costs (internal/external, OPEX/CAPEX), and applying the necessary accounting treatment.
• Finance representative on new bid proposals offering commercial insight.
• Support development and implementation of financial policies, procedures and guidance for users.
• Supporting the management accounting process, supplying & validating new & existing accruals for project costs.
• Timesheet analysis and subsequent cross charging of staff time to projects.
• Support financial reporting including grant claims, balance sheet and cash flow.
• Contribution to a culture of continuous improvement.
• Any other duties as required.
Key Work Tasks
• Monthly project finance reporting, forecasting, budgeting and associated reconciliations.
• Additional ad hoc reporting for projects and for the wider finance function.
• Building strong relationships with business partners across the breadth of the organisation.
• Mapping management accounts information into other reports for funders
• Bid support
Essential Skills & Capabilities
• Team Player with a hands on approach.
• Strong analytical & numeracy skills, demonstrating attention to detail, with a high level of accuracy.
• Able to deliver high quality output to deadlines.
• Accustomed to working in agile, dynamic and sometimes ambiguous environments
• Ability to build strong relationships with Key Stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
• Confident with the ability to challenge at all levels.
• Excellent communication skills – orally and in writing
• Qualified accountant
• Process improvement experience
• Excellent Excel skills and able to present clear and meaningful information for all users, in a variety of formats.
Desirable Skills & Capabilities
• Presentation skills
• Project accounting and grant claims experience
• Report writing
• Sage 200 experience
• Experience of reporting on timesheet systems
Would you like to Apply?
The closing date for applications is Sunday 26th February 2017.
Please note that at this time we are unable to provide UK visa sponsorship
"We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity."