Financial Controller – UK & Western Europe
£40,000 - £60,000 (DOE) + Benefits
We are an entrepreneurial integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in twenty years. We have entered the world’s top 30 agencies and have ambition to break the top ten by 2020. We have over 25 offices, 600 employees and revenues of $65m and rising. Our success is due to a combination of organic growth and strategic acquisitions and is reflected in being named PRCA’s International Agency of the Year for 2015.
Central to our growth has been our policy of reinvestment, with the majority of profits returning to the company to propel development, including our Rise training Academy. We are the fourth fastest growing agency in the global top 50. What makes us different is that, not only are we independent, but we are 100% employee-owned.
As we rapidly scale the business, our challenge is not to lose any of our character. We must establish a clear and visible brand in the marketplace. We must be seen as entrepreneurial, agile, creative, credible and professional. We believe that we are on the cusp of something truly remarkable in our industry.
Purpose of role
The purpose of the Financial Controller - UK & WE role is to take responsibility for, and control the financial operations of the UK and Western Europe region. This person will work closely with the regional office heads as well as the regional finance and operations staff to ensure that finance tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Global Financial Controller (London) – line manager
- CFO / Head of Finance (London)
- Regional finance/operation managers (local offices - Europe)
- Head of Financial Reporting (London)
- Finance Team (region wide)
- General Managers (Western Europe)
- Local advisors (Western Europe)
- External parties: suppliers, customers and auditors
Responsibilities / Tasks
Month end and management accounts
- Updates the P&L forecast for the UK and Western Europe (WE), ensures all confirmed and pipeline retainer and project revenue is included and cost forecasting is accurate. Reviews with office and department heads on a fortnightly basis
- Prepares and reviews monthly revenue analysis for the UK, Netherlands and Belgium in line with month end timetable
- Reviews expenditure for all offices in the UK, Netherlands and Belgium against forecast/prior month and explains all variances sufficiently
- Completes central cost analysis and ensure all costs recorded and allocated to central costs where appropriate
- Reconciles Balance Sheet accounts for all entities on a monthly basis and ensure all amounts are current and accurate
Accounts payable and accounts receivable cycle
- Reviews and approves all retainer and project invoices and ensures they are sent out on time in line with company policy
- Takes ultimate responsibility for the aged debt ledgers, reviews aged debt report and supports debt chasing where required. Alerts account directors of potential problematic debts in a timely manner. Coaches debt chasers on effective collection techniques. Step in and help immediately when a debt becomes difficult to collect.
- Ensures all purchase invoices are input on a timely basis by local finance/ops staff
- Reviews all client and supplier business partners on a monthly basis, ensures balances are fully reconciled and any issues are dealt with in a timely manner
- Reviews and approves supplier payment runs. Approves ad-hoc payments as and when required
- Reviews and approves monthly staff expense report for UK & WE, investigates any unusual claims.
- Uploads the pre-prepared credit card data for the UK credit cards into SAP using the DTW
Treasury and Cash Management
- Monitors cash balances on a regular basis. Ensures sufficient funds are available for payment of suppliers, taxes and monthly payroll
- Reviews fortnightly bank reconciliations prepared by accounts assistant ensuring reconciling items are cleared off and bank reconciliations are accurate, ensure any issues are dealt with in a timely manner
- Line management responsibility (career development, performance and absence management and recruitment) for two accounts assistants based in the London office
- Ensures ops managers/finance executives in the WE offices are supported and receive relevant training to fulfil the finance aspect of their role in line with expectations
- Provides feedback to their line manager prior to bi-annual appraisals being held
- Provides training on finance processes to all employees across UK & Western Europe
- Ensures payroll is processed and paid for all markets on time
- Ensures all social security and other payroll taxes are paid on time
- Posts monthly payroll journal and ensures all payroll accounts are reconciled on a regular basis
- Reviews and approves monthly payroll and investigates any differences with payroll advisors. Challenges any anomalies found in the payroll and quickly resolves queries
- Reviews and approves monthly and quarterly VAT returns, ensures returns for all markets are submitted and payments are made on time. Ensures the VAT accounts are reconciled on a monthly/quarterly basis and takes responsibility for an accurate balance on all VAT accounts at all times
- Ensures all social security and corporation tax payments are paid on time
- Assists in the preparation of Local annual accounts and tax returns
- Prepares timesheet reports monthly and as required by the business for the WE region
- Assists in the group year-end audit process, being the first point of contact for all queries for your regions
- Completes ad-hoc reports and/or analysis as and when required
- Be an effective finance business partner, providing sound commercial advice to the business management as and when required
- Contributes and supports the continuous improvement of Finance systems, practices and policies ensuring they underpin our Company culture
- Travel to offices in the region will likely be required from time to time
- Strong Finance generalist skill set – ideal if gained within an international company which is fast moving, dynamic and creative e.g. PR, advertising, marketing, broadcast, publishing etc.
- Newly qualified accountant (ACCA, CIMA, ACA)
- Supervisory experience of one or more direct reports
- Sound knowledge and understanding of SAP business one desirable
- Excellent knowledge of all core accounting processes (AP, AR, treasury, reconciliations, management accounts)
- Experience working for an international business in a multi-currency environment
- IT literate with a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Collaborative self starter with initiative, who is goal driven
- Proven record of managing projects through to completion
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Well organised, strong ability to prioritise and excellent attention to detail
- Energetic, confident, charismatic - a credible team player
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.