Head of Finance and Operations
£67,393 - £74,435 per annum
- Head of Finance and Operations role in an environmentally focused organisation
About Our Client
The London Waste and Recycling Board (LWARB) is a public body established by the Greater London Authority Act and is a partnership between the Mayor of London and London's boroughs. LWARB's mission is to change the way we live and do business in London to ensure the city thrives by making the very best use of all materials and resources.
LWARB aims to increase recycling and accelerate the development of a circular economy in London. We work with waste collection and disposal authorities, providing help and advice; we invest in circular economy start-ups and innovative early stage businesses; and provide help and advice to SMEs that want to develop circular economy business models.
LWARB works closely with elected members and senior officers from national government, and regional and local government in London. LWARB has a global reputation for thought leadership and is a recognised leader - developing a Circular Economy Routemap for London.
Overview of the position
The Head of Finance and Operations will work closely with the CEO and will oversee all of LWARB's financial and HR functions. The position sits on the SMT alongside the CEO, Governance Officer and three programme leads.
The finance function ranges from management oversight of the processing of all of the Board's financial transactions, preparation of the monthly management accounts and annual financial statements through to working with the investment team on particular LWARB investments and with the CEO, Board and Committee members on LWARB's mid- and long-term strategies to ensure financial security for the organisation.
In the past couple of years, LWARB has expanded from a small team of only seven or eight to its current complement of 22 members of staff, and HR responsibility is a new addition to the role. The post holder will take the lead in ensuring that LWARB's HR processes and procedures are appropriate and up to date.
The post holder will oversee the work of two other team members who contribute to the running of the organisations finance and HR systems as part of their wider roles. Line management of these two staff lies elsewhere but is currently under review.
Key internal & external stakeholders
The post holder will work closely with senior officers of LWARB including the CEO, Head of Investment, and other programme leads, as well as with Board and Committee members - in particular the Chair and members of the Audit Committee.
Externally, the Head of Finance and Operations will work closely with the Boards external and internal auditors, tax and legal advisors, HMRC, bank, GLA treasury, external funders and local authorities.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility for LWARB's finance and HR functions.
- Budgeting, forecasting, treasury management.
- Working with the CEO to explore new funding opportunities and developing mid- and long-term strategies to ensure financial security for the organisation.
- Oversight and improvement of financial control environment and financial systems.
- Preparation of monthly management accounts and presentation to LWARB's audit committee.
- Preparation of annual statutory accounts and management of external audit.
- Payroll management.
- Liaison with HMRC.
- Oversight of corporation tax affairs, including liaison with external tax advisors.
- Management of outsourced Internal Audit function.
- Ad-hoc financial analysis of new opportunities.
- Oversight and improvement of LWARB's HR function, including training, employee development plans, liaison with external legal advisors on legal matters.
- Management and improvement of LWARB's HR systems.
The Successful Applicant
- Professional accounting qualification (CIPFA, ACA, ACCA, similar)
- Knowledge of public sector accounting standards
- Experience managing a finance function
- Experience working with Xero and add-on
- HR management experience
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work with range of stakeholders.
- Competent and experienced in presenting information to senior leadership/board
- Highly organised, with experience improving processes and systems.
- Significant interest in waste and recycling, climate change and related renewable and sustainable energy issues.
- An understanding of equality of opportunity and valuing diversity and the ability to translate this into action.
- Public Sector and Government, experience not essential
What's on Offer
Type: Public Sector and Government
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week
Salary: Grade 10 (£67,393 - £74,435 per annum)
PRP: A performance related payment of up to 5% of basic salary is available to employees who have been in post for one year or more.
Annual Leave: 30 Days per year (plus bank holidays)
Pension: Voluntary employee's contribution matched by employer of 3% of salary
Location: The officer will be based at the LWARBs Offices, currently at 169 Union Street, London, SE1 but soon to relocate Wilson Street, EC2A, with opportunity for flexible working including some homeworking.
Ref Code: MPGW13934120Z