Technical & Quality Specialist
Technical & Quality Specialist
The Financial Reporting Council (FRC) is responsible for promoting transparency and integrity in business. We are the UK Competent Authority for audit and set the UK Corporate Governance and Stewardship Codes as well as UK standards for accounting, auditing and actuarial work. We monitor and take action to promote the quality of corporate reporting and operate independent enforcement arrangements for accountants and actuaries. Further information about the role of the FRC can be found at www.frc.org.uk.
The Audit Quality Review team (AQR) monitors the quality of listed and other Public Interest Entity audits undertaken by the major UK audit firms and their policies and procedures supporting audit quality. The team also plays a significant role in the development of effective audit regulation internationally.
The successful candidate will be a member of AQR’s technical and quality team. They will gain a unique insight into how the major firms operate and how they are responding to current issues in the profession and changes in regulatory requirements. They will also have the satisfaction of being able to promote improvements in audit quality across the firms and influence changes to their practices and procedures.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include:
- Providing support and guidance on technical and reporting matters to AQR’s inspection teams.
- Contributing to quality reviews of AQR draft findings and reports, including assessments of the judgements made by audit teams on key audit and accounting issues.
- Collating and analysing findings across the firms, developing summaries and insights arising and contributing to related reporting both within the FRC and externally.
An accounting qualification coupled with membership of ICAEW, ACCA, ICAS or ICAI (or equivalent) are required. The successful candidate is likely to have experience working at Audit Manager level or above in a major UK audit firm (or equivalent), combined with an interest in technical and quality matters. Prior experience in a technical or quality review role would be advantageous.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A good knowledge of current auditing and ethical requirements and related issues.
- An understanding of IFRS requirements and experience of auditing UK listed companies/ other major entities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the confidence and ability to engage with and, where appropriate, provide constructive challenge to more senior members of the team.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- A proactive approach combined with the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
The role is based in our Central London Office. The post holder should be able to work flexibly to support the team’s activities and also provide cover within the FRC as necessary.
Rewards and benefits
- The FRC offers competitive remuneration packages, including 30 days annual leave plus ability to buy extra leave
- The FRC has a strong work/ life balance ethos.
The FRC believes that equality of opportunity and diversity is important in the work that we do and we are strongly committed to being an inclusive employer. Our values of being fair and independent supports this commitment. We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme, which means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role.
Equal opportunities monitoring is an important means of demonstrating and implementing our commitment to promoting equality of opportunity and diversity. Completing our diversity form will assist the FRC to identify any barriers that prevent access to employment and career development for certain groups of people, and to develop solutions, such as action plans, new policies and practices.
Please apply with a copy of your CV and covering letter to the FRC Recruitment team. In the covering letter, please.set out, by reference to the person specification above, how you meet the required skillset
- confirm that you have the right to work in the UK
- confirm your current package and benefits, and
- tell us where you heard about this job
Please note that we can only accept applicants who have the right to work in the UK.