Interim Head of Internal Audit and Risk (Animal Charity)
The job itself is an exciting opportunity to develop the internal audit strategy and annual plan as agreed by the commitee.
The client is an animal welfare charity who has cared fpr more than three million vulnerable animals. The charity has been running for over 150 years, and has attracted the help of 1000 volunteers. This organisation is truly dedicated to promoting the safety and wellbeing of animals, and employs over 500 members of staff to do so.
- Develop the internal audit strategy and annual plan as agreed by the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee.
- Manage the delivery of the internal audit function, liasing with external auditors and reporting outcomes and recommendations to the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee and Directors
- Develop and manage the risk management framework and processes including regular updating and review of the risk register and reporting to the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee.
- Lead and manage the Data Protection Manager, advising them in their role; supporting, motivating and developing them to deliver high quality work and achieve their full potential
- Oversee the development and embedding of appropriate and effective data protection and information security policies and processes, ensuring understanding and compliance with data protection legislation including GDPR
- Develop and maintain the business continuity plan, ensuring all staff are familiar with it, and testing and reviewing its effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Work with Directors and Senior Managers to ensure organisational compliance with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements across all functions.
- Ensure that there is good evidence of regulatory and legal compliance, providing regular written and verbal reports to Directors and Trustees of key areas of non-compliance.
- Chartered Internal Auditor (CMIIA/CIA), Chartered Accountant (CCAB/ACA/ACCA/CIMA) or equivalent.
- Significant experience of working with and reporting to Directors and a Finance, Audit & Risk Committee (or equivalent).
- Excellent communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English, and the ability to work constructively and collaboratively in a team and across disciplines.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of developing audit strategies and managing in-house and external auditors
- Able to undertake and manage audit procedures, including planning, techniques, tests and sampling methods.
- Significant knowledge and experience of the management of organisational risk.
- Good working knowledge of compliance with data protection legislation including GDPR.
- Proven experience of developing and managing business continuity plans and activity in multi-site organisations
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple complex issues and tasks in a changing environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of successfully motivating, leading and developing high performance teams/individuals, including setting clearly defined objectives and managing performance
- Experience of positively embracing and adapting to change by identifying, leading & managing change in line with organisational objectives
- Able to promote an understanding of, and a commitment to the vision, mission and values of the organisation
- Working for a large business
- Opportunity to develop a function from scratch
- Mapping of the audit universe
- Risk mapping
- Interim role
- Pets are allowed to be in the office with you
- 3-6 months