£40,000 - £50,000
Overall Function of the Finance Manager:
This is a new role for the organisation. We are seeking an experienced finance manager to oversee and deliver a range of tasks relating to the management of the organisation’s financial position. This post holder will work closely with leadership in Europe and the US to manage and present financial information to fulfil reporting obligations and to inform and guide decision-making. , The post holder will work closely with our 3rd-party accountants and payroll providers. S/he will also work on developing budgets for projects and programmes and play a key role in the annual budget building process for the organisation.
The position reports to the Executive Director of Environmental Defense Fund Europe, and will work closely with EDF’s Corporate Finance Department.
Key Responsibilities of the Finance Manager:
- Prepare and present financial information for the Environmental Defense Fund Europe board of trustees.
- Produce timely, accurate consolidated financial reports including: month-end reports of actual vs. budget results, investigate, analyse and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items, and advise managers and finance staff on trends, opportunities for improvement, and any issues of concern.
- Organise data and create clear and accurate presentations, including spreadsheets, graphics, and insightful summary material for internal and external audiences.
- Prepare entries of Europe monthly financials to Environmental Defense Fund’s ledger ensuring proper coding and allocations. Maintain an overview of financial risks, feeding in to the organisation’s risk register.
- Assist in the preparation of grant proposals and financial reports for funders; identify variances and issues in grant-level budget management, and advise program managers and project staff on solutions.
- Work with programme management and staff, finance staff and development staff to assist in the development of EDF’s global annual budgets as they relate to European projects.
- Coordinate with Third Party accountants on matters related to payroll, financial reporting, expense processing, cash flow and annual and tax audits.
- Serve as Environmental Defense Fund Europe’s primary financial contact within the organisation to ensure coordination of financial management efforts and timely resolution of any issues.
- Process and approve invoices, ensure the proper coding of expense items, and review and oversee other organisational, programme and project-specific financial and operational processes.
- Reconcile supplier statements and respond to supplier queries.
- Raise purchase orders and purchase requisitions to order materials, goods and supplies, with vendors.
- Assist in training staff on budgetary and financial policies and processes, including expenses software platform Concur. Perform ad-hoc financial analysis that will provide decision-making support on strategic initiatives.
Qualifications required of the Finance Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other relevant subject.
- Good grasp of progressive experience in a Finance and Accounting department within a charitable organisation. International non-profit experience is a plus.
- To be well-organised and motivated, detail-oriented, and be proficient in the set-up and use of automated accounting systems, including the importing and exporting of transactional data, spreadsheets, interfaced database programs, and online resources in a multi-user networked environment.
- Have a proven knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and reporting: the ability to perform complex financial analysis and to create insight from a large-scale general ledger.
- Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting and reporting software packages.
- Experienced in MS Office Suite, with excellent Excel skills: the ability to develop formulas, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management.
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills: the ability to be flexible under pressure with changing priorities, and perform well in a fast-paced team environment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills: the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues in a diverse international environment.
Preferred Qualifications of the Finance Manager:
- Master’s degree in business management or public administration with a focus on finance or accounting preferable;
- Experience of VAT return preparation and corporation tax
- Demonstrated familiarity of UK GAAP; thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management.
- Experience of working for an international/transatlantic organisation
- Government grant reporting knowledge and experience
- Qualified accountant
- European languages
If this Finance Manager role sounds right for you, apply now!