Human Capital Partners are working with a business based in Croydon with revenues in excess of £250m to appoint an ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualified Financial Controller.
Candidates will be fully qualified, ACCA, CIMA or ACA and will have a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Financial Controller or similar role. Previous experience gained in a wholesale, retail or stock related business is essential. As is the ability to lead, develop and mentor a team.
This is a broad, varied role, leading a team of 10 with 2 direct reports, reporting into the Group Financial Controller. Holding responsibility for the group’s day-to-day financial activities across all operational sectors.
- Key point of contact for budget holders and the senior management team, managing relationships and providing support.
- Preparation and presentation of monthly reporting including group consolidations, ensuring a strong understanding of all variances to budget/forecast and highlighting risks and opportunities to senior management and challenging budget holders where necessary.
- Review of flash accounts (profit and loss focused) by day 3. Full variance analysis and headline commentary required to be understood.
- Control and oversee production of the Balance Sheet Rec Folder, of which is completed in 2 stages – core recs being done on day 4 and the rest by day 10, with commentary.
- Reviewing all intercompany transactions.
- Overseeing and responsible for the annual budget, reviewing and consolidation.
- Leading the preparation of the year end audit and liaising with the company auditors.
- Understanding and having a firm grasp on the Treasury and Working Capital Cycles of the group, per entity.
- Developing team member’s knowledge to ensure all elements of the Management Accounts function are covered for holidays and absence.
- Pro-actively driving ad hoc commercial analysis to help focus activity and identify potential cost savings and value for money, making recommendations for improvements where necessary.
- Promotion of cost awareness and cost control culture, ensuring sign-off and authorisation procedures are strictly adhered to.
- Supporting budget holders with Finance systems and processes i.e. the Purchase Order Management System.
- Business partnering with company directors to support growth and new business.
- Understanding company, competitors and industry.
- Ensuring that each individual in the team has a clear internal training plan and that the medium-term training and development needs of the individuals are being met to ensure their personal development which will in turn strengthen the finance team.
- Qualified CIMA/ACCA/ACA
- Minimum 3 years’ experience at Financial Controller or similar level within a similar working environment "box moving, wholesale or retail industry".
- Systems literate (Word, Excel)
- A motivated self-starter who is able to use their initiative and take ownership of tasks
- Demonstrates commercial awareness
- Strong analytical skills to provide value added appraisals
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the confidence to influence at all levels
- Ability to balance different tasks/priorities and work to deadlines in a demanding environment, managing change wherever necessary
- An enthusiastic team player who can lead by example and manage an analyst to achieve optimum performance through coaching and development