I have recently been engaged by an exciting business, a new client for Barribal Associates, to assist them in finding a very special individual.
This Private Members Club is an inspirational and entrepreneurial organisation, already 2000 members strong, which is based in a magnificent neo-classical building near Mayfair. The club is passionate about providing a warm and welcoming environment, bringing together social entrepreneurs, investors, creatives, business leaders and policymakers. A first-class food and beverage operation is complimented by exceptionally designed spaces offering members areas to work, relax or attend numerous events and social engagements throughout the year.
As the business looks to launch additional sites, both here and overseas, the CFO has created this role to take full responsibility for the UK operation.
The Financial Controller will be responsible for driving the finance function, leading on management accounts, P&L reviews and all other finance related processes and procedures. You will need to develop a close working relationship and act as a business partner with the General Manager and with all operational heads of department.
This is an exciting and varied role that can see you leading weekly finance meetings, challenging, mentoring and assisting other operational and functional teams, overseeing the work of the management accountant as well as doing the odd bank rec and rolling up your sleeves when needed, ensuring that the club remains a transparent and compliant business….sometimes all in the same day.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for producing the daily sales report.
- Daily updating of the cash at bank balances.
- Raising function / deposit invoices and posting of function payments / deposits.
- Assist in the reporting and reconciliation of the weekly COGs, labour costs and membership income.
- Production of the weekly flash P&L.
- Oversee the weekly updating of the cashflow forecasts.
- Manage the month end process and production of finalised management accounts, ensuring that P&L reviews are completed on a timely basis.
- Ensure that balance sheet accounts are reconciled on a monthly basis and supporting schedules are kept updated.
- Assist in the audit and financial year end process.
- Participate in the annual budget process ensuring that the budget holders are given support in achieving departmental and business objectives.
- Periodically review, document and communicate company policies and SOPs.
- Carrying out periodic checks of the financial control environment to identify weaknesses and reduce the risk of fraud or malfeasance.
- Mentor and oversee the work of the Management Accountant and providing assistance and cover when necessary.
- Providing financial input and coaching to the operations and other teams ensuring that their work is compliant and achieves the desired business objectives.
- Liaising with senior leadership team to help drive business efficiencies and implement finance policies.
- Working closely with the CFO to implement and improve systems and procedures.
Applicants will be fully qualified, almost certainly with a Top10 firm and have a demonstrable track record of financial control and management reporting. Previous experience of working in a member’s club, hotel/restaurant or events environment would be especially attractive, but is by no means a pre-requisite.
You will have a proactive and dynamic approach to your work and enjoy the challenge of developing operational relationships across the business. System implementation/development and procedural improvement projects will be highly desirable traits in your repertoire also.
Barribal Associates and the organisations it represents are fully committed to equal opportunities and encourage applications from any age, disability, gender, marital status, race, nationality, religion or sexual orientation.