Management Accountant - Professional Services
£34,189 - £38,460 per annum
Overall Purpose of this Management Accountant role:
To be the Accountant for the central professional functions of the University. Provide management accountancy services and reporting to Cost Centre Managers. Contribute to central accounting activity such as budgeting, month and year end processes.
The Management Accountant's Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and assistance to Cost Centre Managers and other staff with the costing and pricing of all activities within those areas, following departmental procedures and guidance provided by the Financial Controller.
- Co-ordinate the preparation of budgets by working in conjunction with the Cost Centre Managers and Directors to assess income and liabilities.
- Use the University’s finance system to provide monthly reports, monitor trends, investigate variances and produce forecasts within strict reporting deadlines.
- Have a proactive approach to all tasks undertaken and take appropriate action to deal with issues arising.
- Contribute to the University's financial year end close down procedures by identifying issues in the Professional Service areas, which will have an impact on the financial statements such as income in advance and expenditure accruals.
- Provide first line financial advice to the Professional Service Cost Centre Director’s and managers and their staff on all financial issues including cost coding and the application of Financial Regulations.
- Contribute to the development of standard reporting, accounting approaches, system enhancements etc as part of an accounting team, headed up by the Financial Controller.
- Assist Professional Service Cost Centre Directors and managers in the development of Cost Centre financial strategies and longer-term financial plans.
- Assist the Financial Controller in the preparation of University consolidated budget, annual financial statements, statistical returns etc. as directed.
Generic Duties and Responsibilities required by our Management Accountant:
- Undertake other duties as required commensurate with the general nature and grading of the post.
- The post holder will be expected to undertake other responsibilities and tasks as reasonably requested by senior members of the finance management team.
- The post holder will be responsible and accountable for ensuring all employment legislative requirements are adhered to including equality and diversity and health and safety issues.
- The job description may be altered at any time in the future in line with the level of the post to meet changing institutional requirements, but only in full consultation with the post holder.
Please see attached supporting document for person specification and terms of employment for this Management Accountant position.