Company Secretary & Governance Manager
To ensure the business operates effective and efficient governance and is compliant with legal and regulatory requirements including preparing and submitting all relevant returns. To manage a range of responsibilities including risk management, insurance, policy management and administration of legal services.
Leading medical research charity in the UK. They conduct research into their field, provide treatment to those affected and even offer social care.
Compliance with legislation and regulation;
- Maintain statutory books, including registers of members, directors and secretaries (including declarations of interest, gifts and hospitality etc).
- Liaise with external regulators and legal and other advisors.
- Deal with correspondence, collate information and write reports, ensuring decisions are made and communicated to the relevant stakeholders.
- Keep up to date and ahead of regulation and legislation, ensuring that policies and procedures are implemented in a timely way to ensure ongoing compliance.
Plan and Implement calender of business
- Create and manage a forward plan of events and meetings.
- Plan and communicate timetables for organisational meetings, agenda items, standard annual returns etc.
- Develop systems to ensure the organisation complies with all applicable codes as well as legislation and regulation.
- Arrange reviews of governance arrangements annually or at other agreed intervals.
Provide board level support to Trustees and Directors
- Organise and prepare agenda and papers for Board meetings, Committee meetings and Annual General Meetings.
- Ensure Trustees and Directors have a good understanding of their roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure Committees have appropriate terms of reference and membership and that these are complied with, kept current and reviewed as appropriate
- Take minutes, create and monitor action registers, draft resolutions and lodge required forms and annual returns with Companies House and other third parties as required.
- Provide regular reports as required to the Chairman, Trustees and Directors
- Advise Trustees and Directors on matters of legislation, regulation and governance.
- Support Trustee Board recruitment, induction, development and evaluation.
- Facilitate good communication flows between Trustee Board, Committees and Management Board.
- Ensure appropriate records are kept, maintained and managed in line with GDPR and the principles of good governance and corporate memory.
- Significant experience as a company secretary, governance management or similar a role
- Understanding of the charity sector (or related sector) and of charity governance or the ability rapidly to acquire the required knowledge.
- Experience of working with Directors and organisations' leaders
- Working knowledge of Data Protection
- Good IT Skills - able to use Word, Excel & Powerpoint to a high standard
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICAS)
- Competitive Salary
- Benefits Package