Senior Financial Controller
Attractive Salary + Benefits
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Financial Controller who is keen to expand their skill set away from pure accounting. Oceanic Estates is a privately-owned property company and was founded in 2000 consisting of 17 real estate companies that either develop commercial land or hold industrial estates. They have a combined value of over £60 million. Their current largest development is Adanac North near Southampton. It is a 40 acre site and will be a multi-let industrial scheme and phase 1 is currently underway. The other main development site is a 33,000 sq. ft industrial unit near Southampton. The portfolio also includes two industrial parks, plus several single units. Oceanic Estates remains very active in the industrial property market, looking for future development and investment acquisitions.
A Senior Financial Controller is required to join the existing team. This has arisen due to the retirement of the existing incumbent after 8 years in the role. However, this is a somewhat broader opportunity than most. This role will be responsible for the creation and operation of each of the property vehicles including the creation of businesses through Companies House, registering for VAT and raising and chasing invoices etc. More complex accounting practice are all outsourced to an accounting practice. However, rather than be purely desk-based, this individual will be required to visit occupiers and contractors and build relationships with their customers and in time, take on aspects of the property and estate management function. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with proven accounting ability to expand their skills into the estate management sector and be part of a small and exceptionally friendly team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Accountancy – the creation of Special Purpose Vehicle and VAT registration for each property.
- Proven experience in cashflow forecasting, cash management, tax, vat, payroll and year end procedures.
- Invoicing and chasing of outstanding invoices along with purchase and sales ledger.
- A working knowledge of intercompany loans and complexities.
- Overseeing the smooth running of commercial estates and assist project manager with new build projects.
- Managing principal’s multiple commercial properties, travelling to each one to maintain oversight and contact with sites and tenants.
- Developing over time an understanding of estate management issues and play a vital part in the Estate’s wider operation.
Duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or the level of responsibility entailed.
The successful candidate will be a qualified accountant with many years of experience ideally in a small business environment but now keen to expand their skill set and take on new challenges. They may possibly also have a working knowledge of commercial property management. They will have a proven ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships both within the team and with external customers.
It is expected that the successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Sage 50 accounting software.
- The ability to communicate with and manage Contractors whilst acting as first point of contact.
- The ability to manage utilities, creating estate manuals and ensuring principal receives competitive quotes on any repairs.
- An excellent approach to customer care.
- The ability to prioritise and co-ordinate tasks efficiently ensuring all deadlines are met.
- A positive “can-do” attitude towards routine tasks.
- The flexibility to work both autonomously and as part of a wider team.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, be highly organised and thorough.
- Be a team player and an all-rounder.
- Full UK driving licence.
Whilst dependent upon qualifications and experience, this will be highly competitive.
25 days holiday in addition to public holidays and days between Christmas and New Year.
Click the 'Apply' button to submit your CV with full salary details.
For further information please contact Charlie Holroyde on 07973 116262.
Mulberry Executive Search have been retained by Oceanic Estates Ltd to handle this assignment.