Head of Finance / Financial Controller
Head of Finance/Financial Controller
Salary up to £65,000
We are HS Direct; part of the Citation Group and we are far from your average compliance company. The Citation Group is made up of 8 businesses, who proudly deliver services that our 43,000 clients need, want and value. Our mission is to be the company that colleagues, and clients want to work for and with. It’s a really exciting time to join our business and come grow with us.
Due to our continued success, we are expanding our team. As a group we’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We’ve tripled in size in the past few years and plan to do it again with your help. We’re a great bunch of people to work with because we care so much about our colleagues and culture. We’re not interested in hierarchy or politics, just getting things done and enabling people to be their brilliant selves.
We are happy to receive applications from candidates based within commutable distance of both Wilmslow (Group HO) and Sheffield (HSD HO) but please note there will be travel to both offices included in this high-profile role.
This Head of Finance role is one of the most exciting and influential across this fast-paced double-digit growth business. Acquired as part of The Group under two years ago, we have big plans for growth and need this commercially focused Finance role to help the business achieve its potential.
Working closely with the HS Direct leadership team, and reporting to the business MD and the Divisional FD, you get the best of both worlds in this role:
1) The ability to lead and execute both strategic and operational initiatives in the business that make a real difference
2) The backing and support of a really strong finance team across the division and Group, to help you and the business be even better
This role has a broad remit and really does require someone who has commercial and operational skills in addition to those of a more traditional Financial Controller. With your excellent communication and stakeholder skills, you will get under the skin of the business and quickly be able to identify short- and longer-term changes that enable business success.
This is a broad, all-encompassing Finance position which is a fantastic opportunity for future progression.
This role will be there to support the business in its drive for profitable growth, by providing ongoing business analysis and commercial and operational support with any strategic projects.
You will also be responsible for driving all reporting processes, ultimately ensuring the delivery of timely and accurate financial information. This will include the production of monthly and annual accounts, annual budgeting and forecasting, cash forecasting and management, and any required bank & investor information.
• Build and manage relationships with the leadership team and the wider business to help drive strategic decision-making
• Provide financial and commercial insight and advice the enables the business to develop and execute its business strategy
• Be an integral part of the senior team responsible for executing strategy
Business Analysis and Commercial Support
• Build a deep understanding of the business model – including products, sales channels, customers, pricing, competitors, cost of customer acquisition, renewal rates, profitability – and be willing to challenge the status quo to drive profitable growth
• Ongoing provision to the business of meaningful commercial analysis and use this analysis to challenge performance and identify opportunities
• Work with business managers to drive performance in their areas to ensure that the business objectives are achieved
• Work with the business to help them develop their understanding of company finances and impact of decision making
• Implementation and tracking of business and financial KPIs
Reporting & Internal Control
• Overall responsibility of P&L, Cashflow and Balance Sheet from both an actuals and forecasting perspective
• Review and oversee the preparation of monthly management accounts, ensuring adherence to reporting timetables
• Production of a monthly local Board report to present to Group
• Prepare VAT returns (qtly) for review and sign-off
• Monthly reconciliation of balance sheet and control accounts
• Ensure adherence to Group internal control and authorisation matrix
Audit & Statutory Accounts
• Support the Group Financial Controller with the annual audit process, including the preparation of end of year accounts files and audit schedules, providing any requested information in a timely manner and having the knowledge to be the go-to person for questions about the HS Direct business
• Support with the production of statutory accounts, both for the HS Direct business
Budgeting and Forecasting
• Responsibility for regular forecasting and input into Group budgeting / forecasting processes (at least twice a year)
• Liaising with various stakeholders both within finance and the wider business to understand, and be able to, forecast and report the full picture
• Manage a team of 2 people
• In conjunction with the Divisional FD, create clear objectives for both individuals and the team
• Perform regular performance reviews with the team and help put in place individual development plans
Lead the local team in the management of:
• Credit control
• Accounts payable
• Capital expenditure
• Expenses and petty cash management
If you are interested in this role, please click apply!