A qualified accountant is needed for a Financial Controlling / Accounting role in the centre of Oxford
Your new company
My client is one of thirty-eight self-governing Colleges in the University of Oxford. Founded in 1929 expressly to widen access to Oxford University, it is an open, tolerant and creative academic community, with harmonious relations between its senior and junior members, and an atmosphere in which academic staff and students from many different backgrounds and countries mix easily and comfortably. The College currently comprises a Master, and 65 Fellows and Lecturers in a wide range of subjects, about 350 undergraduate and 200 graduate students, 20 Visiting Students, and about 85 non- academic staff.
Your new role
The College is a complex and busy working environment and the Financial Controller will therefore demonstrate the ability to manage multiple and competing deadlines to ensure the delivery of financial and management information against a complex annual reporting timetable. Essential to the success of this role is a keen eye for detail and the ability to develop sensitive relationships with multiple stakeholders including students, senior management, and academic Fellows
Working closely with the College Accountant and a well-respected Finance Team, the Financial Controller will seek to implement system and process improvements to improve efficiency and reduce month end reporting timeframes. The successful candidate will demonstrate a sound technical knowledge of VAT in a charity setting, fund accounting and reporting under the Charities SORP.
What you'll need to succeed
- Proven experience as a Financial Controller in a Charity environment
- Qualified accountant with 5 years + experience
- Working knowledge of fund accounting and Charities SORP
- Working knowledge of VAT and Gift aid regulation in a Charity environment.
- Proven track record in effective team management
- Ability to handle, maintain and present financial data accurately
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, with staff, students, and all levels.
What you'll get in return
- Appointment will be on grade 8 of the University salary scale for academic related staff £41,526 to £49,553 FTE.
- Contributory Pension Scheme (Universities Superannuation Scheme).
- All meals provided free of charge when the kitchens are open.
- All staff are eligible to subscribe to the Oxford Colleges' Healthcare Scheme.
- Full-time administrative staff of the College are expected to work a nominal 35-hour week (with a one-hour unpaid lunch break each day). It is recognised that occasional out-of-hours working in the evenings and at weekends will be required and ordinarily time will be given in lieu.
- The College is prepared to consider flexible working arrangements and a four day / week approach.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.