Head Of Finance - St George's Weybridge
£60,000 - £70,000
- Assist the Bursar & Governors in the financial management of St George's school
- Lead the Finance Department and be responsible for financial strategy
About Our Client
St George's Weybridge is a leading independent co-educational Catholic day school in Surrey for girls and boys aged 3-18.
Founded in 1869, with its distinctive Josephite ethos, St George's Weybridge has become the largest independent Catholic school in the country. Academically autonomous, the Junior School and College work together as one school, educating over 1,600 students across the two school sites. Both Schools had full ISI inspections in December 2019 and rated excellent in all categories.
St George's is proudly and unequivocally a 3 -18 co-ed school where children can learn and grow into kind, considerate adults who make a positive contribution to society. There is a perfect balance between the Junior School and the College, between academia, creativity and sport. Together with our Josepite ethos, these are what make St George's unique - and what makes the children who leave us exceptional.
The distinctive ethos upheld by St George's encourages a strong sense of family where all students are valued and encouraged to fulfil their potential in an atmosphere of mutual respect and compassion. This atmosphere is extended to all families, our alumni (Old Georgians), staff, the local community and the wider world.
St George's Weybridge welcomes students from all faiths and none, whilst maintaining our strong Catholic identity. It is our wish that during their time at St George's, our boys and girls will grow up within a community where Christian beliefs and principles are a guide for all that we do. This is evident in the liturgical life of our Schools and in the many ways we have of reaching out beyond our community. Thank you for your interest in joining the staff at St George's Weybridge. We are delighted that you are considering our School.
- Assist the Bursar and Governors in implementing the School's strategic financial objectives.
- Bring financial risks and opportunities to the attention of the Bursar and Governors and conduct modelling and feasibility studies as appropriate.
- Review and implement changes to the system of financial control and reporting.
- Supply, discuss and consider monthly management information with the Bursar, members of the Senior Leadership Teams (SLTs) and Heads of Departments to enable them to effectively plan and control their responsibilities.
- Prepare papers for, attend and contribute to the dealings of, the Finance and Risk Committee.
- Prepare financial appraisals and reviews of major projects.
- Prepare long term forecasts and sensitivity analysis.
- Retain financial awareness of external changes and development and to provide recommendations and advice to the Bursar, including a thorough knowledge of relevant accounting requirements, such as GAAPs, FRSs and the Charity Commission SORP.
- Line management of direct reports and ensuring proper line management of all departmental members.
- Ensuring annual performance reviews and timely career management are carried out for all team members.
- All accounting functions including nominal, purchase and fee ledgers, fixed asset register and the payroll.
- The accurate and timely production of management and financial accounts.
- Management and control of fee collection.
- Preparation of the consolidated statutory accounts for St George's Weybridge and ensure all accounts are audited in time for the relevant meetings.
- Preparation of annual budgets and termly forecasts, including cash flow projections for the current and future years.
- Preparation of internal financial management reports, accounts and briefing papers, including monthly management accounting information to include cash flow statements and forecasts.
- Control of the treasury management function in order to ensure the most efficient and secure deployment of cash and minimise related banking and interest charges.
- Being responsible for, and ensuring compliance with external regulators, including HMRC, the Charity Commission and Companies House.
- Being responsible for accurate and timely tax returns and tax reclaims, with professional advice where necessary, preparing recommendations for mitigating potential VAT and any other tax liabilities.
- Liaising with external auditors.
- Managing the School accounting systems.
The Successful Applicant
- Formal Accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA).
- Experience of working in the commercial, educational or charity sectors.
- Experience of compliance with legislation and regulations relevant to the position.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proven experience of managing a team within a complex organisation.
- Empathy with the ethos and values of St George's Weybridge.
- A 'can-do' attitude with a sense of humour and proportion.
- A flexible approach to work.
What's on Offer
£60,000 - £70,000 plus a competitive benefits package.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPGWJN1020201237526Z