Financial Accountant | Buckfast Abbey, Devon | up to £30,000 per annum DOE + Generous Pension Scheme
Nestled in a valley on the edge of Dartmoor, Buckfast Abbey is home to a working community of Benedictine monks who live according to the monastic rule developed by St Benedict.
Buckfast Abbey has become one of the Westcountry’s top tourist attractions, with 400,000 visitors coming each year to experience the serenity and beauty the Abbey has to offer.
Visitors can learn about the lives of the of Benedictine monks, enjoy our extensive, award-winning grounds, attend a host of musical events at the Abbey Church and visit our restaurant and gift shop.
Due to retirement, we are now looking for a Financial Accountant to join our Finance function, which covers over 25 accounting entities, churches, schools, accommodation, restaurants, car parks, farms, properties and shops.
- Salary of up to £30,000 per annum DOE
- Generous pension scheme
- Staff discounts across our shops and catering services
- Stunning surroundings
- Home working options (as part of a rota system)
- Career progression prospects
If you are a qualified accountant looking to build on your existing expertise, this is an amazing opportunity to support the financial health of one of Devon’s most renowned sites.
Once you join us, you will discover a welcoming environment that promotes community and inclusivity. You will be provided with on-the-job training and support to give you all the tools you need to make a success of your role.
So, if you are excited to take on a broad, busy and engaging role where you’ll have the chance to make a real difference to our organisation, we’d love to hear from you.
As a Financial Accountant, you will support the smooth running of our Finance function.
We’re currently implementing new financial accounting and payroll systems, so you will be required to assist with the setup, transition of historical data and ongoing training of other staff members.
Reporting to the Head of Finance and Administration, you will be responsible for:
- Financial accounts preparation, including preparing and posting journals, accruals, prepayments, balance sheet reconciliations and variance analysis
- Preparing tax and VAT returns
- Processing payroll, pensions, statistics and Gift Aid claims
- Assisting with internal and external audit processes
- Supporting budget preparation
- Deputise for the Head of Finance and Administration when required
To join us as a Financial Accountant, you will need:
- To be a fully qualified Financial Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Proficiency in both Sage Financials and Sage Payroll, with the ability to train others
- The ability to manipulate, analyse and translate data for a range of audiences
- To be empathetic to the Catholic ethos of our site and share our values of inclusivity and community
Other organisations may call this role Accountant, Qualified Accountant, Accounting Officer, or Accounts Officer. Those from an Accounts, Accounting, Practice, Audit, Finance or Financial background are encouraged to apply.
This role is subject to a DBS check.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
Webrecruit and Buckfast Abbey are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
So, if you are seeking your next challenge as a Financial Accountant, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 40 hours per week