Project Accountant / Management Accountant
2 days left
- Full Time
The last 12 months has given many people time to reflect on lifestyle choices, and what they want from their careers, if you are seeking a change of scene and a rewarding career opportunity then this might be just the role for you.
The company is about to start a new building contract and requires an experienced Project / Management Accountant to enhance the existing finance team.
This project is likely to last a few years, so the successful individual could see this as a 2-3-year contract or, due to the ambitious and dynamic nature of the company and numerous business ventures they are involved in, this could be a permanent appointment which, with the right skills and attitude, can offer progression through to a more senior role.
The population of the Falkland Islands is mainly of British descent, whilst the islands are large, Stanley is relatively small, giving a true community feel. There are many social events throughout the year, good sporting facilities and groups to join in with, the schools have a good Ofsted rating, and the staff at the hospitals are all qualified to UK standards, and the facilities are the same as NHS but without the wait times.
The real difference in living on the Island is the lifestyle; whilst there are no high street shops or fast-food outlets there is the stunning countryside, you are never far from the sea and there are beautiful beaches, if you enjoy hiking and nature, perhaps this is the environment that you would prefer.
Things you may not know: The Falklands summer is from Oct to March, there are two international flights a week to the UK via the RAF Airbridge. Prior to Covid, LATAM operated flights to Chile and Brazil from where international connections could be made., and the income tax rate is 21% for £15-£27k and then 26% for earnings over £27k. The income tax payable in the Falklands for salaries below £50k is more than the UK, however, there is no national insurance payable other than £18/week (£975/year) for the 'state' pension which compares to NI of £4,851 if you earn £50k in the UK.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE - PROJECT ACCOUNTANT:
- Construction experience - the ideal candidate will have either housebuilding or other projects & able to prepare & maintain timely & accurate financial statements for the construction project in line with IFRS15.
- Proven experience of setting up accounting processes and procedures will be necessary to manage the financial accounting.
- An interest and aptitude to work closely with operational management who are non-financial, to be the primary finance point of contact for the construction contract and work with operational directors & managers to support decision making.
- The ability to see beyond the numbers to identify what is driving them, thus identifying process improvements & solve problems is required to succeed in the position, with a commercial outlook to review costs and profitability of each house in the contract and investigate variances against budget.
- Systems development or installation experience would also be beneficial.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE - MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANT:
- Fully qualified CIMA / ACA / ACCA
- Experienced in completing month end accounts and reporting in conjunction with the Finance Director. To include closing of all ledgers, preparation and inputting of all prepayments and accruals, balance sheet reconciliations and preparation to TB stage.
- Confident investigating trends in the business & offering insight into ways of improving processes & profit
- Skilled in Cash Flow management to include bank account reconciliations for all current, updating of all reporting including the short term cashflow forecast.
- Able to support the FD with tenders & mentoring of finance team members
- Capable of Ad Hoc Mgmt. Accounting / Finance duties & projects as required.
The working environment:
The team: The Project Accountant reports directly into the Finance Director, alongside the Commercial Finance Manager - this person is leaving and the Chief Management Accountant, who are supported by a team of experienced Accounts support staff. With employees coming from all corners of the world, the company has a relaxed office environment, working 08 - 16 with an hour for lunch, and whilst there is a kitchen on site and café across the car park, most people go home for their lunch.
They offer 34 days holiday (25 + 9 bank holidays), 5% pension scheme, discretionary bonus based on company performance, 10% staff discount scheme, and payment of professional membership fees.
Covid: The Island reported 63 cases of Covid since the beginning of 2020, and there have been no deaths. There are currently no cases on the islands. Apart from a short period at the start of the pandemic, there have been no restrictions with everyday life continuing as normal with no social distancing, mask wearing or closure of any leisure facilities including pubs and restaurants. Throughout the whole pandemic, there are no restrictions, in fact they didn't have to enforce any restrictions at any time. On arrival you will have to quarantine for at least 8 days but FIC will be in contact with you during this time to ensure everything is alright.
The Falkland Islands are one of the last great wilderness destinations, clean air, zero traffic congestion, miles of stunning landscape abundant with penguins, and 1,300 km of coastline offering plenty of opportunities for whale and dolphin spotting. You may not have considered it before but perhaps this is the unique experience that you and your family are looking for?
Apply for Project Accountant / Management Accountant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly