Wakefield - A place where people thrive, businesses succeed, and visitors are welcome.
Are you a passionate, insightful, pro-active, future focused Internal Auditor looking to provide a modern, professional service adding real value to the organisation as a true partner? Do you want a role offering high level exposure to senior leaders and the opportunity to develop your career with a high profile, flexible employer who put its employees at the heart of its service?
Following a recent restructure, Wakefield Council are looking for ambitious, experienced, and self-motivated individuals to join their team. This is an incredibly exciting time to join the Internal Audit Service whose ultimate vision is… ‘to enhance and protect organisational value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, advice and insight’.
As a Lead Auditor for Wakefield Council you will play a pivotal role in helping Wakefield Council make that vision a reality. Reporting to the Principal Audit Manager, the Lead Auditor is a ‘critical friend’ to a key directorate. You will work closely with the Corporate Director and their management team, attending their quarterly directorate team meetings and using your strong interpersonal skills and proactive approach to understand the business needs, strategies, plans, risks and controls for that directorate. You will develop a sound understanding of the Council’s governance, risk management & control processes and will help to influence and improve the efficiency & effectiveness of the governance processes and control environment for mitigating strategic risks. You will be instrumental in developing a risk-based internal audit plan for the directorate including the use of assurance maps. As Lead Auditor you will have a key role in supporting, coaching & mentoring less experienced team members gaining valuable leadership skills for your future career. This is a varied role and part of a supportive team with ongoing development opportunities.
Wakefield is a place where your career can grow, you can develop, and the possibilities are endless.
- You will either be a CCAB qualified Accountant OR Qualified to Practitioner/ Certified level of the Institute of Internal Auditors & an active member with experience gained working within an internal audit environment.
- You will have knowledge of Internal auditing professional standards, sound knowledge of the concepts of governance, risk management, and control. An understanding of the importance of good ethical behaviour and a sound understanding of the principles for risk-based internal audit planning and delivery.
- You will demonstrate a specialism or extensive knowledge in a specified field and lead on that area of audit
- Knowledge of the role of an audit committee and the importance of maintaining good professional relationships with our clients.
- Knowledge of computerised internal audit databases
- Strong IT and systems experience including MS Office
- You will have demonstrable experience of establishing and maintaining good relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience of working with sensitive and confidential information
- Experience of identifying and resolving complex problems and solutions
In addition to your annual salary, the successful candidate will receive generous benefits including – flexible working, hybrid working opportunities, supportive corporate policies, 30 days annual leave ( pro rata), access to the local government pension scheme, access to an employee paid health scheme and employee discounts from a range of businesses in the Wakefield district.
Closing date 26th July 2021
First interviews 2nd August to 13th August 2021
Final interviews week commencing 6th September 2021
For a confidential discussion about these roles, please contact our retained recruitment partner Catherine Hill at Hays Senior Finance.
For more information, please visit our dedicated recruitment site: webmicrosites.hays.co.uk/web/wakefield/