Chevening, MACC and External Support
London (currently remote)
£40,015 - £48,478
The ACU provides administrative / secretarial service in running three scholarship programmes funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and runs one self-funded programme.
The Finance Manager role is pivotal in managing the ACU’s relationship with the FCDO and respective Commissions in presenting and interpreting financial information and analysis relating to the programmes. The Finance Manager will provide strategic and operational information on scholarship programmes within the ACU, the Commissions and the FCDO.
The post holder will forecast expenditure and ensure cash is requested and received in a timely manner and report income, expenditure and cash flows. They will interpret financial information so that ACU, Commissions and FCDO understand scheme performance and risks.
This is a Business Partnering role that requires close working with colleagues in the four scholarship teams and colleagues in the Finance team. The Finance Manager role will be supported by a Senior Finance Officer.
The ACU is an international organisation dedicated to building a better world through higher education.
We believe that international collaboration is central to this ambition. By bringing universities together from around the world – and crucially the people who study and work within them - we help to advance knowledge, promote understanding, broaden minds, and improve lives.
We champion higher education as a cornerstone of stronger societies, supporting our members, partners, and stakeholders as they adapt to a changing world.
Key responsibilities include:
- Building on the excellent relationship with the FCDO and scholarship teams.
- Assist the Scholarship teams to develop and implement financial models to contribute to the planning and allocation of scholars, calculating financial implications and preparing budgets.
- Preparing and submitted monthly finance reports to FCDO
- Prepare financial statements and commentary for external stakeholders (FCDO, Commission, Audit & Risk Committee, etc.) and brief the Director of Finance who will present them.
- Review the monthly bank and balance sheet reconciliations with the Senior Finance Officer.
- As appropriate lead on the annual audit and prepare the Annual Accounts.
Some of the skills you need to be able to demonstrate include:
- Degree Educated and CCAB qualified with experience of working in management accounting.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of accounting software and Microsoft Office, particularly Excel to advanced level.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills along with strong attention to detail.
- Experience of financial planning, budgetary control and corporate financial reporting.
- Experience of providing customer focused management accounting and business partnering.
- Adopts a proactive, customer focused, and results orientated approach.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both orally and in writing), including the ability to explain financial issues to non-finance managers.
- Ability to manage multiple financial schemes / programs effectively and manage ad hoc projects where the need arises.
- Credibility in advising on Finance policy and policy direction.
- Committed to teamwork, with an ability to work independently and show initiative and exercise sound judgement.
- Willingness to be adaptable as required to deliver tasks on time. Well organised and good time management skills.
- Ability to balance competing priorities under pressure of deadlines and workload.
Our benefits include:
- 31 days holiday per year (including 4 Christmas closure days) plus bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme (10% employer contribution plus 5% employee contribution)
- Season ticket loan
- Excellent support for learning and development through a range of educational and networking activities.
At the ACU, we welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of gender, race, religion, marital status, disability, age, and sexual orientation.
As Finance Manager, you will be employed by ACU Trading Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary.
How to apply
Please click the 'Apply' button to apply for this Finance Manager role based in London.
Closing date: 6 August 2021 12pm
Interview date: TBC