Commercial Financial Controller
- Exciting opportunity to join a Private Equity backed, acquisitive company
- Varied role with excellent progression opportunity available
About Our Client
Trillium Flow Technologies™ portfolio of 16 legacy brands offers premier valves, pumps, and actuators designed for specific industry applications. With a supply chain that spans the globe, our key manufacturing facilities are located in China, France, Italy, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United States with additional Service Centres in Canada and India. Group turnover is c$500m.
The UK Manufacturing business is headquartered from Elland with c120 staff on site and turnover of $40 - 45m and growing. There are strong links with the UK Service business located in Scotland which has turnover of c. $60m per annum. Revenue streams come from both sales of manufactured valves and pumps, as well as aftercare and servicing.
The Financial Controller is the direct business partner to the UK Valves MD which requires operational / commercial acumen in addition to the core finance disciplines. The confidence to understand and challenge business decisions is critical to drive continuous improvement through the business.
Diligent control of accounting, compliance and reporting activities for the facility is a baseline expectation with value add delivered through process improvements and FP&A insights to guide the management team. The role also has responsibility for all finance activity for a Malaysian Company, a South African Company and an Australian Branch.
The role currently has 5 direct reports however is part of a wider UK finance where collaboration is expected to develop a high performing team whilst meeting the needs of the business.
FINANCIAL / MANAGEMENT REPORTING
- Preparation of accurate month end numbers and report through the Group Cognos / TM1 system in line with finance calendar (Usually 3 working days).
- Prepare monthly finance report and designated elements of operational management report.
- Responsibility for all journals and final GL balances including review of month end balance sheet reconciliations and control accounts
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of the Company's accounting records and financial systems
- Production of annual statutory accounts for multiple UK and overseas entities Interact with Group and finance personnel in the other Trillium Flow Technologies subsidiaries on a regular basis to ensure accurate reporting.
- Preparation of accurate 13 week cash forecast to be submitted on a weekly basis. Senior point of liaison & lead for external audit.
FINANCIAL PLANNING AND ANALYSIS
- Preparation of the annual budgets through engagement with all stakeholders to ensure buy in (Sales, Departmental Heads, etc) and co-ordination to business strategy. Quarterly forecasts prepared at request of Group with continued monitoring & review of performance against them to enable robust reporting of variances.
- Extracting sales and cost data from the current system and preparing meaningful, value added operational analysis and reporting for the Management Team to manage and grow the business.
- Managing the AR & AP team ensuring cash generation is maximized.
- Drive to targeted inventory turns and DSO goals.
- Engage other departments in working capital reduction activities.
- Lead the planning of the annual business stock count alongside the operations lead.
- Working closely with the Management Team in evaluating the current processes and determining the best plans to assist the growth of the business.
- Identify improvements that can be made within the wider UK Finance and lead the roll out.
CONTROLS AND COMPLIANCE
- Periodically review internal controls for all accounting processes are fit for purpose and in line with Group requirements.
- Ensure controls are operating as designed.
- Ensure returns for Corporation tax, VAT, R&D tax credit and other relevant taxes are submitted, payments made on time and all relevant regulations are complied with including overseas territories. This would involve working closely with the Vice President of Tax
- Reviewing the payroll submitted by the payroll team for UK, Malaysia and Australian Branch
- Control the business financial exposure to bank guarantees through review of new requests and expiring.
MANAGERIAL & SUPERVISORY
- Effectively manage, motivate and develop the Finance department.
- Supervise & review performance of individuals in the team
- Implementation of a change management culture by challenging & replacing established processes and procedures where necessary
- Liaise with different departments to ensure the Finance department is properly supporting the needs of the operating businesses.
- Support the Regional Finance Director / Managing Director with any other ad hoc requests to support the Trillium Group businesses.
- Perform the role with a customer-focused outlook, always aware of who our internal & external customers are and striving to provide the best possible service to them.
The Successful Applicant
The details described here are representative of those that are encountered by or must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree with related relevant experience and/or training (Big 4 / Mid Tier Audit background preferred); or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified accounting designation preferred either CPA or Chartered Accountant.
Good communicator, written and verbal, able to establish good working relationships across the business.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Accounting, Database, Design, Development, Human Resource Systems, Inventory, Manufacturing, Order Processing, Payroll, Project Management, MS Excel and Word Processing. Fluent with ERP systems and Financial Reporting systems (SAP and Cognos knowledge preferable).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Chartered or Certified Accountant certification
Moderate (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic)
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
What's on Offer
On offer for the successful candidate is the chance to work closely underneath an impressive Regional Finance Director in a varied FC role. You will have direct exposure and opportunity to influence and challenge the operations of the business.
You'll work for an organisation which values its employees and rewards generously. The FD this role reports to has had four promotions since joining the business as FC in 2016.
On top of this, the role presents a great opportunity for someone to take up a Number 2 role within a growing, PE-backed business.
Closing Date: 30/09/21
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPGW0820213561978