Our client is an exciting, rapidly scaling, founder led business at the cutting edge of a low carbon heating model. At the point of inflexion that they now find themselves, they have been investing in upgrading the depth and breadth of their functional management capabilities and now seeks to appoint a Finance Director, a role broad in both scope and effect, critical in coordinating corporate finance and managing company policies regarding capital requirements, debt, taxation, equity. The ideal candidate for this role will have a natural alignment with entrepreneurial, high growth businesses, with a real appetite for and exposure to leading a diverse range of projects and workstreams.
The key deliverables of the role will include:
• Provide leadership to optimise the company’s financial performance and strategic position including reporting insights and operational metrics;
• Ensure that all company financial and other systems and controls are established in a robust and compliant fashion in accordance with all applicable regulatory financial and tax legislation to support current activities and crucially to enable significant, rapid growth in an operationally geared environment;
• To ensure that the requisite level of sophistication and predictive capability of MI / KPIS is inbuilt from inception;
• Contribute fully to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, cash flow, budgets, contractual arrangements, plans, funding, working capital, targets and business drivers;
• Establish, lead and develop the finance team as well as having responsibility as Company Secretary and more broadly across other support functions, HR, IT, legal;
• Present accounts, budgets and forecasts to the board and to shareholders/investors/ debt providers;
• Play a key role alongside the founders in all structured finance / debt raising / equity activities and a key external role with debt/ equity providers together with any future financing / refinancing/ value realisation activities.
This role is as much a hands on one as it is commercial, strategic and financial, one with the main goal of helping the company to fully reach its true potential.
Key attributes of candidates will include a blend of the following :
• Good inter- personal presence and an open leadership style, hard-working and entrepreneurial;
• Candidates will need to be able to display an approach which is a balance of technically excellent and commercially aware and possess the ability to inspire and influence people at all levels and in all disciplines;
• Previous experience as part of a team which has created shareholder value and grown a relevant business;
• Experience in a scaling organisation that has been through the journey of professionalisation and investment but with strong disciplines - a blend of corporate heritage with growth company experience is going to be important;
• A degree of exposure to debt raising/ PE / refinancing in particular to structured finance and the robust relationships and reporting such environments require;
• Previous experience at finance director level /board level in a mission led business;
• Excellent modelling skills.