Finance Director Role – Northamptonshire
Courteenhall is a rural estate, located just south of Northampton. It has been owned and occupied by the Wake family since 1672, though the Wakes have lived in some of the surrounding villages since the 1100s.
The organisation is led by Managing Partner Johnny Wake. In recent years, the Estate has diversified into poultry, renewables, commercial property, off-Estate farmland and financial instruments, including equities.
The Estate is situated within the ‘Golden Triangle of Logistics’ and therefore is ideally located for further development opportunities. Johnny Wake and his Agent, Alex Coles, have strong ambitions to further commercialise the business and diversify. Therefore, the business requires an experienced and commercially-minded finance director to provide financial leadership.
The Finance Director will report directly to Johnny Wake. The appointed individual will become a critical member of the leadership team and help steer the organisation at this key juncture. The Finance Director will ensure that accurate financial information and analysis underpins key decisions, as the leadership team seeks to drive the financial performance, sustainability and legacy of the organisation, whilst appropriately managing risks.
Key aspects include:
- Responsible for all financial aspects, including financial reporting, budgeting, cash-flow and legal and tax compliance across all entities.
- Manage and develop the finance team of three to ensure their ability to meet both present and future requirements. Develop an approach to bring the production of year-end accounts in-house, as far as possible.
- Lead accountancy, tax, banking and related professional adviser relationships.
- Produce meaningful and timely management accounts and develop KPIs.
- Fully understand the legal ownership of the business’ assets, across the trusts, companies, partnerships and sole trader entities and their inter-connectedness.
- Oversee the organisation’s tax compliance, alongside professional advisers.
- Continue to develop robust financial reporting and management of all key assets, including the increasingly important off-Estate investments.
- Help to negotiate, project manage and complete investments, alongside professional advisers as required.
- Provide challenge to other members of the leadership team and ensure that the organisation remains focused on its key initiatives.
- Assist with procurement and supplier management, including involvement with any tendering processes.
- Aid commercial negotiations and contracts, in line with professional advisers as appropriate.
- Work with Johnny Wake to select Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives, and ensure their execution and performance is in-line with the agreed plans.
- Take responsibility for leading the provision and management of IT, including cyber security.
- Alongside the organisation’s external HR adviser, take responsibility for the HR function, (including employment law compliance, recruitment, employment contracts and the appraisals process), in addition to payroll management.
- Support the organisation’s strong focus on ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including health & safety.
- Chartered Accountant.
- Analytical, commercial and highly numerate with the ability to analyse and report meaningfully on financial and commercial matters.
- Maturity to balance the urgency and pace of the business with the key objectives and the need for measured and informed decisions. Not bowing to pressure to unduly expedite or conclude matters.
- Track record in ensuring management information of the highest quality is available to support investment decisions objectively.
- Excellent attention to detail, and ability to focus on strategic and micro issues as required.
- Work with the Estate’s team members to get the best results for the organisation.
- Have the gravitas and communication skills to influence decision-making at the most senior levels.
- Ambitious and motivated. Possess the appetite and ability to master the complexities of the business.
- Whilst experience with trust structures, partnerships, sole traders (as well as companies) is welcomed, it is more important that the individual is willing to better understand these entities and their latest legal and tax positions.
- Full-time role based at Courteenhall (with occasional home working by agreement).
- A competitive salary and benefits package (including employer’s pension contributions, life insurance, generous holiday and bonus structure), commensurate with experience will be offered.
Apply for Finance Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly