We serve and protect those who serve and protect us. Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK Submarines Business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent. At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.
At BAE Systems we are committed to supporting work life balance for all our employees and embrace a range of modern working practices, which aim to enhance flexibility for individuals whilst also enabling business performance. Flexibility provisions vary by role, but include; hybrid working arrangements, flexible working patterns and shift working.
Our Submarines Business
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
Would you like to play a key role in Submarines, working on new and exciting finance projects? We currently have a vacancy for a Project Accountant - Finance Business Partner at our site in Barrow-In-Furness.
As a Project Accountant - Finance Business Partner, you will be reporting to the Finance Manager, working with the Central Finance Projects team assisting in the delivery of projects for BAE Systems Submarines. You will liaise and integrate with the broader programme along with multi-functional teams on & off site.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to communicate with a wide range of people across the Submarines network, including exposure to senior personnel. This role will provide you with the unique opportunity to support the pricing of the Submarine Programme and the development of a key UK defence priority. Career development is supported and encouraged within the team.
Your main responsibilities as a Project Accountant will involve:
- Providing financial support to the project teams, ensuring sufficient understanding of financial issues to facilitate achievement of financial targets. Ensuring that business stakeholders are engaging in appropriate forecasting and forward-looking analysis
- Supporting in the production of Requests for Bid Approval (RBAs), providing financial support and governance to financial modelling
- Providing specific financial support to the Finance Manager supporting the overall Enterprise affordability initiative programmes
- Working with Ministry of Defence (MOD) and CAAS (MOD Audit & Assurance Team) Counterparts to provide information as required, in particular and to ensure the effectiveness and timeliness of the cash claims process
- Providing finance input and challenge to the Lifecycle Management of projects and the Programme review process
- Providing financial input into the production of project forecast costs at completions and contract summary reports, offering relevant business and project context to enable delivery of accurate management accounting
- Deputising for the Finance Manager
- Providing finance support to contract closure
- Ensuring contract financial deliverables are produced and submitted in a timely manner
- Supporting the Finance Manager on interactions with the external auditors; to ensure all audit queries are met
Your skills and qualifications:
- Part/Fully Qualified (CIMA/ACCA/ACA)
- Accounting and financial management experience, working in a variety of roles including working within project and manufacturing environments
- Proven numerical and analytical skills with comprehensive business and financial modelling experience
- Good working knowledge of all key financial processes' statements
- Exposure or Experience using different accounting ERP systems (SAP/TM1 exposure is advantageous)
- Experience of business partnering
- Demonstrate good networking skills working with multi-functional Stakeholders
- Prior working knowledge of MOD's policies and procedures is desirable
What we are looking for in you:
You will be a strong communicator who is able to build trusting and professional working relationships with a variety of stakeholders. You will be highly organised, resilient and able to work in a multifunctional and project environment. You will have excellent influencing skills, with experience of challenging and persuading senior business colleagues. You will apply your numerical skills and high levels of attention to detail to the role as you support the delivery of projects across BAE Systems Submarines.
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.